Saturday, October 20, 2012

Geek stuff: Photostream auto updating on all devices

If you have multiple devices (iPhone, iPad, MacBook etc) one cool feature is that all photos you've taken on any device can automatically show in your photostream when you are connected to wifi. So why then was I occasionally having problems with my photostream not updating on one device or another?

If your household just uses a single Apple ID for all devices then once the innitual setup has been achieved for Home Sharing then everything should be well. But if your household is like mine then you've probably got several Apple accounts; a main account for all Apps Store goodies, individual accounts for each persons group of devices (I don't want to get Jef's stuff syncing to my devices or vice versa!)

Since I'm continuously switching between the "shared" home account and my personal account sometimes my device saves the last Apple ID I used. When I was having problems with my photostream not updating on my iPad (but my photos were already in iPhoto on my MacBook and in my photostream on my iPhone) the solution was this (from my iPhone or iPad):

Settings -> Music -> Home Sharing

The Apple ID saved there was our home account, not my personal account. I changed that to my personal Apple ID and presto, the photos were available in photostream.

Did you find this information useful? I'd love to hear your feedback, so please leave a comment if this post was helpful to you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...